Profit margins?

Welcome to the new CBSI forum!

Profit margins?

Postby Cartwright » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:22 pm

I've just recently started wading into the speculating and selling realm and was wondering what you guys generally consider to be a good profit margin? For instance, the first book I sold I wanted to see how much I would make if I just went "basic" i.e bought the book for cover price, paid the eBay fees and eBay shipping. I sold my book for $12 and at the end of the day I made a grand total of 19 cents. So I was wondering if that's your guys' experience (I assume not) and if not what do you guys do to keep costs low and profits high?
Cartwright

Re: Profit margins?

Postby socoolaz » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:16 pm

That's awful! :oops:
socoolaz

Postby IamBATMAN » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:21 am

Well, to keep costs low and profits high, I tend to buy office supplies on sale (tape, printer ink, etc.). I also will recycle comic mailers (good quality ones, not the ones that someone hack apart with a machete) and use those for shipping my comics. I always have a plan or certain setup to how I ship my comics, so that way I am not wasting time and materials.
IamBATMAN

Postby Lebednik » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:54 pm

buyer pays shipping. Reuse shipping materials. I get some materials from deliveries at work and take them home to reuse. I also use materials from usps.
Lebednik

Postby rayne5446 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:30 am

Don't forget About taxes on that 19 cents. :D

Make sure you do first class for 16 oz and below. Flat rate legal envelope for anything greater than 16 that fits in a comic mailer. Print your labels off ebay to get ebay discount.
rayne5446

Postby Yroc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:42 am

It depends. If I am sitting on a book forever, I may just sell at a loss just to move it. Otherwise, I am fluid on percentages meaning I don't have a hard number I adhere to. If I can make $50 on a graded book then I am ok with that regardless of what I bought it for. Raws are a little different. The more valuable ones go to grading. For cheap raws, I tend to save those for shows. Again, no hard and fast rules for me.
Yroc
Full Name: Khoi Cakes

Postby Donato » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:48 am

Anytime you can double your money after what book cost you,shipping costs,Ebay fees,etc...It's a win....
Donato

Postby canadiancomicguy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:31 am

Like others here I also buy shipping items in bulk and charge for shipping (or factor it in when a book ships 'free').
I can ship 2 books regular post in Canada for $5 and break even on supplies and shipping cost. But it's tough to factor in ebay and paypal fees as well to make a profit.
Part of what you might want to consider is what your time is worth as well.
For me, I can spend a morning or full day visiting stores and digging through bins but that's the side of the hobby I enjoy! I don't consider that 'work' - if that makes sense. I enjoy that time as a part of the collecting hobby - hunting for treasure.
Now, spending a few hours setting up to take quality photos of a handful of books, creating the listings, monitoring listings, prepping to ship and shipping... that I consider 'work'. So for me (this is just me) I like to try and make a minimum of $15 - 20 on a book. So I don't personally do the $2 - 5 profit flip since the not fun part of selling is not worth $2 - 5 for me. But I also only sell a few books a week max. Of course, it's a hobby for me and any money I make on books just goes to new books. But part of my profit margin is my strategy for selling - I need to find a $1 - 2 book that I can flip for $15 - $20 any day of the week for it to go up on the bay.
As Khoi said, I will break even or take a loss for a book I just want to move. Higher priced books I also press and/or grade and try to make at least $30 - 50 on after all is said and done.
All this is to say, be honest with yourself about what your time is worth too - and if/what you consider 'work' and factor that into your costs.
canadiancomicguy

Profit margins?

Postby tiredguy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:46 pm

I really only deal in raws (I haven't made the leap to buying slabs or slabbing myself).

I don't have a hard and fast rule, but the cheaper the book the more I lean towards making at least double what I have in it (quick flip "hot" books). If we're talking $50 plus sales then I don't necessarily have to have double what I paid, but it's nice.

Then, like Khoi said, if I've had one for a while that I want to get rid of, or a dog/bad spec/held on too long type book, I'll cut margins way down. I try not to take a loss, but have before.

Like also mentioned above, buyer pays shippingnor I figure it in my sale price. I either reuse comic mailers or buy them in bulk myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tiredguy
Full Name: jason jones

Return to CBSI