San Diego Comic Con

Welcome to the new CBSI forum!

San Diego Comic Con

Postby brucewayne619sd » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Hey Guys,

I am going to SDCC this weekend and am trying to figure out what I should get this weekend. I think the Graffiti exclusives are going to be a really nice pick up, in particular the Batman #24 and the Wonder Woman variant with Gal Gadot. I also think that the Artgerm variant of Spiderman and the J. Scott Campbell variants have potential.

Should I be looking for anything else or do you think that this is a waste and they are going to be worthless?

Thanks guys.
brucewayne619sd

Re: San Diego Comic Con

Postby SilverEye » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:11 am

Graffiti Designs, I like the Wonder Woman & Justice League photo covers. The other ones are just foil versions of the regular covers.

JSC will have four D covers available but they will be limited and gone fast.

I think the Walking Dead Shiva Force will be hot. There are 6 variants reprinting the ALL OUT WAR story line. There will also be action figures for this. These will be at the Skybound booth. Check out the image booth too and see what hot there. They usually have 500 print run variants

Boom will have a nice Powers Rangers set. Homage to X-MEN 1. If you like WWE women wrestlers, Boom also has a nice variant.

Aspen has nice Supergirl variants. I think these might also be available online so probably not too rare.

Dark Horse has an American Gods variant by Skottie Young and great homage cover for Black Hammer. Don't see too much heat on these but they are nice. I always say get what you like and you won't be disappointed.
SilverEye

Postby Yroc » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:16 am

Good picks SilverEye. The WW foils will do well and I'd get as many as those as possible.
Yroc
Full Name: Khoi Cakes

Postby rayne5446 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:07 am

While I do alot of modern variants, I'm pretty much out of my element with gauging the price points of con exclusives. They are tricky for me, because there are so many people that have bulk to sell and a seemingly unlimited supply.

I bought 4 of the WW Foils for 33 each. I don't know if it has legs, but if I were at the con, I would take the max amount they would give me. I preordered 1 JL and 1 Batman 24 Foil.

I've been considering the Ducktales 0 Jeff Smith variant, limited to 500. It seems like you can get them between 15-20 shipped... But I have hesitated to pull the trigger. I am just not really sure what the market is for a book like this and if anyone really cares Jeff Smith did the cover. Anyone have thoughts on this book?
rayne5446

Postby TheUncannyMike » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:03 pm

I would get that Astonishing X-Men #1 Cover D
TheUncannyMike

Postby brucewayne619sd » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:33 am

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to report in. On Thursday, I walked in about 9:05-9:10 am and went straight to the Graffiti booth and found the back of the line by 9:15-9:20. After waiting in line for the Graffiti Exclusives for about an hour to an hour and a half, both Batman #24 and Wonder Woman Gal Gadot Variant were sold out. I got some that I liked, but don't think they have spec value. I then went to J. Scott Campbell's booth and they were sold out of the Jean Grey White Con Exclusive. I got the Spectacular Spiderman Con variant instead. I also picked up the Walking Dead set, the Redneck variant and the Hughes Superman set.

I also had tickets for Sunday and heard that Campbell was selling 200 a day of the Jean Grey Con Variant. That was the first booth I went to and they didn't have any. While I was walking around going through long boxes and looking for stuff, I saw the Golden cover Wonder Woman Variant going for 400, but they also had the 2 con exclusives that I missed. Thinking that I could scoop them up for double cover and be happy I asked how much he was selling them for. He responded with 50 for Batman and 125 for Wonder Woman. That blew my mind. They were 15 just a couple days ago and going for about 40 on the bay.

As always there was a lot of overpriced books. I saw a first appearance of Gambit that I have had my eye on for 300 not graded. I saw a 9.8 in the same aisle for 380. It blows my mind that these people actually sell stuff at inflated prices. Yeah they haggle but they are always rude about it and still hit about ebay prices without Shipping. I feel like I would rather pay shipping than deal with these guys who act as if you are trying to steal their first born when paying market value for a book.
brucewayne619sd

Postby userX745 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:20 am

Hey CBSI,

Well my SDCC was a success. I was there all 4 day plus preview night. I worked with a group of friends to secure many exclusives during the Con and that worked out great. The Graphitti's books had a limit of 5 per cover but later limited to 2 per cover. I was able to secure 2 WW, 2x JL, 1x Batman 24, 1x of each Dark Days. I also got 2 sets of the Walking Dead exclusive covers which was sold out by Sunday. The JSC Jean Grey phoenix was a good get also but all JSC books were signed. The be score for me was getting into the Hasbro line during the end of Thursday without having to get tickets in the morning which my friend and I did try for at 5:45am and wasn't able to get.

Hall H line on Saturday was crazy. My group of friends start lining up 5:30am on Friday. It was madness but with a group of people rotating each other during the day and night really helped. I was able to get a few signatures from Artgerm, Terry Dodson, and Tyler Kirkham which was awesome and those line for them wasn't that bad. There was a lot of people on the floor and everyone's backpack where max out. I don't know how many times I was hit by massive backpacks.

The books that I noticed that were sold out during SDCC was Graphitti Wonder Woman, Justice League, Batman #24. The 6 issue Walking Dead set, JSC White phoenix roadshow.

For future attendees to the show going after exclusives is network with friends and divide and conquer.
userX745
Full Name: Kent

Postby Yroc » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks for the updates.
Yroc
Full Name: Khoi Cakes

Return to CBSI