To Slab or not to Slab?

Welcome to the new CBSI forum!

To Slab or not to Slab?

Postby bmoke44 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:41 am

Hey everyone, newbie here. Great forum...good to know that this resource is here! So thru the years i've heard mixed reviews on getting a comic graded. If it's a key issue, in my case I have two copies of Detective Comics #359, is it better to have it graded or leave it raw? If graded, you're at the mercy of the grader when it comes to price. Have you found that raw copies that are in decent shape (my two copies are probably around a 7 but could pass for an 8) tend to sell higher? Or do slabbed copies automatically equal a higher price?

Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:
bmoke44

Re: To Slab or not to Slab?

Postby gjsnow » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:41 am

If you are trying to sell it, raws average ~$500 with one or two in recent months being higher than that and quite a few lower grades being in the 200's. A CGC 6.5 sells for around $900. An 8.5 went for $3000 so assuming you are correct with your own grading and it's a good candidate for it you could always press them and see what they come back as. Most comics sell better graded, of course older key comics do better than moderns in regards to lower grades.

If it's a pc book grading is entirely up to you. Some folks like it some don't.

I personally think all older key comics should be slabbed to keep them just that much safer.

Again it's up to you and what you are trying to accomplish.
gjsnow

Return to CBSI