[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 702: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 702: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4800: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3918)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3918)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3918)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4804: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3918)
Comic Book Speculation & Investing • View topic - Divided States of Hysteria #4 (Warning: Graphic Content)

Divided States of Hysteria #4 (Warning: Graphic Content)

Welcome to the new CBSI forum!

Divided States of Hysteria #4 (Warning: Graphic Content)

Postby Ben Steiniger » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:17 pm

Going to start a discussion about the, now-banned, cover to issue #4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ben Steiniger
Full Name:

Re: Divided States of Hysteria #4 (Warning: Graphic Content)

Postby Ben Steiniger » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:34 pm

This photo is courtesy of Kevin Fields. If there is a clearer photo available, please feel free to post it. Image

Ben Steiniger
Full Name:

Postby Ben Steiniger » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:47 pm

Personally, this feels like making a controversial cover just for controversy sake to increase interest

Ben Steiniger
Full Name:

Postby Ben Steiniger » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Here is a clearer image

Ben Steiniger
Full Name:

Postby Sharon Wang » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:26 pm

I'm not offended by the cover but I think it's hard to view it as anything less than intentionally inflammatory or controversial when the sign directly behind the dude's head reads "free happy ending....".
Trying to pretend the cover was originally meant to be controversial to raise awareness but then instantly backing down the second it faced criticism means they are either completely void of backbone or simply care only about the bottom line. They should try to avoid any social commentary in the future since they clearly aren't equipped to handle the push back it may cause.
Sharon Wang

Postby Yroc » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:54 pm

Definitely agree this is a poke in the eye. I have no desire to read this. Just like the Trump Black issue, the cover makes me think they are making up for the content.
Yroc
Full Name:

Postby tiredguy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:05 am

I see it as boundary pushing to see how far they could go.

While at the same time garnering publicity.

tiredguy
Full Name:

Postby djinn155 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:41 pm

I don't know much about Chaykin or this comic series so I had to do some research before I formed an opinion on this cover. Here are my three main points for this:

1. This cover is simply distasteful. It's controversy for the sake of controversy. I'm not mad at all about it and I wouldn't really care if this cover had made it to print.
2. I'm a Pakistani-American who grew up in a 98% Caucasian district. I've experienced plenty of hate, intolerance, etc. but It's never been as unnerving as when Trump became president. Chaykin doesn't need to tell us where this country is headed....we already know. (Sorry Trump supporters. This is my opinion as a minority and it has nothing to do with his policies. I have learned to accept that Trump supporters are humans too. There are always a few bad apples in every group/class/religion, etc.)
3. This cover and this comic series is exactly what is wrong with our society today. Instead of improving our country through positive change and understanding, we just attack each other non-stop. No one reading this comic is going to attain enlightenment all of a sudden.

Conclusion 1: cover was in poor taste. Image's apology was somewhat lacking but at least they had the balls to cancel it from being printed.
Conclusion 2: my neighbor asked me last month if I allowed my wife to drive? If you don't get the meaning behind this then it just shows how misinformed our country is. (My neighbor is the nicest person in the world btw).

Sorry for the rant. If anyone has any contradictory statements to what I said then I'm all ears. And if I said anything wrong then feel free to call me out on it.
djinn155
Full Name:

Postby Yroc » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:42 am

Yroc
Full Name:

Postby comickiller72 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:44 am

The controversy will make prices go up on the few copies that leak out there.
comickiller72
Full Name:

Next

Return to CBSI