[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 702: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 702: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4800: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3918)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3918)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3918)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4804: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3918)
Comic Book Speculation & Investing • View topic - Is the Canadian comic scene starting to heat up?

Is the Canadian comic scene starting to heat up?

Welcome to the new CBSI forum!

Is the Canadian comic scene starting to heat up?

Postby DizzyMatt » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Hey everyone, I know most of you are american...and from listening to the podcasts there is at least 1 Canadian on there. However does anybody get the feeling the Canadian comic scene is heating up?

I'm Canadian, I live on Vancouver Island. Just today I got one of my personal grails 'HE-MAN MOTU # 1 Skeletor Variant"...from a Canadian seller. Just randomly I also picked up a 'Batgirl #28 Steampunk Variant' and currently on a best offer for a 'All new Wolverine # 2 1:25 variant'....all CANADIAN SELLERS!?!

This may not mean much to you americans...but to a Canadian collector this is great. I don't know how many fu*#ing times I've ordered a book through ebay in the states and the border control rip it open and inspect it looking for contraband or whatever...then put a big strip of duct-tape over the hole as if it's all good. I've ordered books that were 'NM' then when I get them....have spine-tics and creases. I've seen the cardboard taken off the book then crammed back in so it's cardboard/cardboard/book....so infuriating. I've had slabs with scratches from being opened, even boxes from an auction house like pedigree opened once. It's not everytime, but I would say 1 out of 4 times...but you can't blame the seller. I find that lately I'm using ebay less for this reason and concentrating on getting good books from the comic shows in Victoria and Vancouver (which are great, and seem to double in size every 6 months).

I just got back into collecting a few years ago, so this is a breath of fresh air. I'm even starting to see the Wednesday warriors standing by the comic store waiting to open (i was in the mall going to the bank last wednesday)...I swear i didn't see that last year.

Matt
DizzyMatt

Re: Is the Canadian comic scene starting to heat up?

Postby DizzyMatt » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:15 pm

Oh ya, I almost forgot. Some American sellers hate or just refuse to ship to Canada because of the insurance and international shipping problems. This sucks for me...but on the other side of the coin a Canadian seller would prefer me because you throw that book into a cheap Canada post box and saves alot on shipping.
DizzyMatt

Postby Ben Steiniger » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:26 pm

Ben Steiniger
Full Name:

Postby DizzyMatt » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Don't forget every American dollar is 1.30 here...
DizzyMatt

Postby Yroc » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:57 pm

I think it's indicative of the market in general. There have always been buyers, it's just there are more. And as a consequence, more sellers. We're seeing that here too in the US.
Yroc
Full Name:

Postby couchy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:47 am

The exchange rate is a big factor for Canadian collectors. There was a period of time earlier this decade when the Canadian dollar was on par and actually worth more than the USD (by like 1 cent). Once the exchange started creeping back to normal levels there was a sharp decline in sales from Canadian buyers. This was corroborated by a number of major dealers on various forums. The sales started to creep back up after a few years when Canadians realized the exchange rate was stable and if they wanted their books they'd have to absorb the cost.
couchy

Postby Lundon44 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:46 am

Yup, Canadian collector here (Toronto, ON). Have to chime in here that collecting has been taxing (no pun intended) as a Canadian. eBay is pretty much the only resort for finding what you need, quickly and easily. But not only are the exchange rates just brutal at times but the shipping fees are also ridiculous on occasion too. And eBay sellers usually mark up their books on top of that. Also can't count the number of times I found a book that I'd spent a ton of time trying to find and it's a US based seller that doesn't offer shipping to Canada. To make it worse, you can't even message some of these sellers (because they disabled that option) to negotiate shipping. A few times I've had US sellers make exceptions but not always.

Buying books off of eBay leaves you with poor options like Kijiji (the Canadian version of Craigslist). And while you can save on shipping by meeting someone local for a face to face transaction everyone on their seems to over value their books too.

Making a trip to the Fan Expo every summer also hasn't been a great option for buying either. Again, all US retailers and most books are marked up. I got lucky a few times on CGC Collector's Boards but by the time I usually stumble onto a good deal the book is already sold.
Lundon44

Postby canadiancomicguy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:26 am

Obviously another Canadian here! I definitely feel it's strong and healthy in the great white north.
I seem to feel that more and more (Canadian) people are watching and bidding on the big books you'd expect where even a few years ago those books would slide under the radar with less action.
But I can say it's tough up here on eBay and Kijiji.
1) eBay can be mad expensive especially with shipping from States. I 100% can see why some American sellers don't want the hassle of dealing with the border. I have been lucky sending a few messages and had some great experiences with books coming from sellers who originally didn't advertise shipping to Canada. I appreciate it! But shipping in Canada is not cheap either!
2) As a casual seller on eBay - well, I think I'm winding down. shipping costs, eBay fees, paypal fees and now taxes on ebay fees - "The new contracting entity, eBay Canada Limited, is subject to Canadian tax law. As a result, sales tax (GST/HST/QST) will be charged on eBay fees starting July 1st, 2017" mean that it's difficult to stay competitive to make any money on a book. I mean, a person's got to find a dollar gem to sell for $50 to make any money.
3) Kijiji - Forget about it. I've had no leads or wins on Kijiji. Books way over valued. Or, yes, with a healthy amount of comic folks out there - the rare book you find on Kijiji is quickly taken or the seller is alerted.
e.g. Over a year ago I did see an add for a run of X-Men including 244 and 266 and they were asking something completely reasonable/low like $50. I happened to be the first to message. But apparently they were messaged by dozens of others and they told me that due to the number of responses it set them off to look at the prices and then they wanted over $100. They gave me first option to buy - but I had to pass.

Hey a healthy comic scene is a good thing! It's getting me to up my game in the hobby!
canadiancomicguy

Postby leightball » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:55 pm

I heard the Canadian comic scene is Ehmazing
leightball
Full Name:

Postby Ben Steiniger » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:32 pm

I do have an odd question for those Canadians that live near the US border. Do you guys have PO boxes set up in the US to have packages shipped to? Is it worth it?

What about courier services? Are there services a available that would charge a fee to have items shipped to them and then they bring your items across the border every couple weeks for a fee? Is that worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ben Steiniger
Full Name:

Next

Return to CBSI