The Wednesday One 4/03/19
Each week we will go head to head picking just ONE book in each category in a battle for NCBD supremacy. Best of all, you get to pick the winner! Sound off in the comments if you’re #TeamSimpleman or #TeamBolo and we will recap each week in the following weeks Column.
So its Brian vs. Jack.
Simpleman vs. Bolo.
And there can be only ONE. The Wednesday One.
Most Looking Forward to Reading Marvel
Most Looking Forward to Reading DC
Part II of Terminus Agenda. Carried over from Teen Titans #28. Deathstroke is imprisoned in Damien’s secret prison. Which might not be so secret now that someone else has found out about it. I love classic Teen Titans vs Deathstroke stories and this is shaping up to be a great one.
Most Looking Forward to Reading Indie
This book celebrates not only the anniversary of Ghostbusters but kicks off a Ghostbusters resurgence with the planned Ghostbusters / Transformers series and new Ghostbusters movie in the works. I think the Incentive will be sought after. It may be time to start grabbing uber cheap Ghostbusters Incentives.
I really was leaning Immortal Hulk the whole time but I feel like while I love #16, I love them all. This Parel Skywalker cover is outstanding and feels cinematic. Both regular price variants are great grabs for what is worth too with a JTC Leia Action Figure Variant and a Granov Greatest Moments.
Regular Price Variant Marvel
There is 2 billion War of Realms Variants (cover art wise I like Copiel’s) so it's tough for one to stick out. Not my favorite art but I like this one because not every store will qualify since most stores still haven't jumped on the midnight party train. I try to grab cover price party variants when I can.
Regular Price Variant DC
It’s really a crap week for DC comics in general. Normally I wouldn’t pick the same title twice in this article but I love this story and the cover B variant from Francesco Mattina is hands down my favorite this week. Yes, even better than Lucio Parillo’s Green Lantern cover.
In the words of the great Lee Corso NOT SO FAST. Better than Green Lantern? I'm not buying it. Full disclosure, I like both covers. But This finale to the Green Lantern arc sounds interesting with GL tasked with killing Adam Strange. Plus at this point I've seen these deathstroke covers and am ready for some great Green Lantern art. Parillo killed this one.
Regular Price Variant Indie
Dynamite is no stranger to having multiple variants but it’s nice to see only one Christian Ward variant instead of a trade dress and a virgin variant or sketch variant. Christian Ward is a master at using bright colors and this cover pops. As popular as Conan is becoming for Marvel, could we see a resurgence in popularity of Red Sonja soon as well?
This is THE hottest Indy book running. It's only a matter of time before someone options this book. The first 4 issues have sold extremely well and I expect this book to continue the trend. I usually wait for trades but this one I started early and am now reading monthly.
A 1:25 variant for a book won’t have a very high print run. The only downside is this art was previously used for a Lady Death kickstarter.
Don't try to get all fancy here Brian. The clear pick is the big boy book of the week. Yes its controversial. Yes your LCS will probably mark it up. But for those of you whose LCS sells at ratio….cha ching! As far as amazing cover art goes, I also love the Dell Otto War of Realms Variant but suspect there is little spec there.
Top Spec Pick
A lower print run title compared to other Marvel titles. Absolutely gorgeous cover by a popular artist with a popular character. This could be a cover that may not be sought out on release day but down the road could pick up steam in my opinion.
I know to say this is a sleeper seems like a reach. But many people sleep on Liefeld at this point. I know I am a fan but I genuinely feel like the time could be right for a Liefeld comeback with Marvel. I have high hopes for this series. If it pops, this variant should as well.
Last Week Look Back
Winner: #TeamBolo by a nose
This week was tough to judge. Both had Hot 10 entries and but with a 2 to 1 outcome and Marvel Rising still well rising it's Mr. Bolo by a nose.
Winners: (In No Order)
- Marvel Rising 1:25 (Bolo) - Hot 10 entry and going for 4x ratio.
- Age of X Man X tremists #2 Frison (Simpleman) - Another Hot 10 entry that was popping well over ratio almost right out the gate
- Neon Future (Bolo) - There was real demand for the Steve Aoki Indy comic release to tie into his concept album. This book also made the Hot 10
- Sierra Muerte #2 1:10 (Bolo)- Currently hitting 2x ratio. Not sure if the demand will remain with this one though
- Detective Comics #1000 (Both)- This was a big win for comics fans. Such a fun and monumental moment in Batman lore.
Losers: (In No Order)
- Marvel Regular Priced Variants (Both)- We talk about this week but Marvel Cover B’s are continuing to prove to be a tough profit maker in the short term. When will we stop buying these lol. I expect this weeks JSC cover to trip up a lot of speculators. I hope I am wrong.
- Sharkey The Bounty Hunter #2 Skottie Young (Bolo) - One sale this week in the US on ebay…….ONE SALE.
Jury Is Still Out
- Savage Shores #1 B & W (Bolo)- selling for a few dollars over cover price and drying up
- Street Fighter Menat #1 Udon Exclusive (Simpleman)- Haven't seen these really hit eBay yet so still too early to determine.
- Ice Cream Man #11 Tarr Variant (Simpleman)- Four sold and only four available on eBay.
- Shazam #4 Lee Variant (Bolo)- Underperformed but could increase interest after the movie hits this upcoming weekend
- Most books released last week- It's hard to call a lot of books losers after just one week. Let us know in the comments what books you think the jury still out on!
We did pretty well this week making something out of slow week. Be sure to let us know in the comments your picks and predict who will win out #TeamSimpleman or #TeamBolo.
Want to see more from CBSI’s NCBD duo?
Be sure to also check them out on Simpleman's Comics YouTube Channel Live at 9 PM Est / 6 PM Pst Thursday's for the Weekly Bolo List Livestream with the replay releasing right here on the site on Friday's.