The Wednesday One 3/27/19
Each week we will go head to head picking just ONE book in each category in a battle for NCBD supremacy. Best of all, you get to pick the winner! Sound off in the comments if you’re #TeamSimpleman or #TeamBolo and we will recap each week in the following weeks Column.
So its Brian vs. Jack.
Simpleman vs. Bolo.
And there can be only ONE. The Wednesday One.
Most Looking Forward to Reading Marvel
I had no idea this series would be as good as it is. It may only have 2 issues completed, but I am loving Chip Zdarsky’s writing on this series and really enjoy Marco Checchetto’s interiors as well. This may give Mark Waid’s Daredevil a run for the money when it’s all said and done. Add in Julian Totino Tedesco’s gorgeous regular covers and we have us a trifecta of awesomeness!
Most Looking Forward to Reading DC
We celebrate 80 years of Detective Comics which is a huge milestone. We also get the DC Universe introduction to Jason Todd as Arkham Knight. Any fan of the video games from Rocksteady Studios knows how great this character is In addition to the video game, Arkham Knight has also appeared in a comic book prequel “Batman: Arkham Knight #1 (2015) and a 6 issue mini-series Arkham Knight Genesis. The downside to this book is it has a bunch of covers between DC and all the store exclusives.
Most Looking Forward to Reading Indie
So I could easily put this book into several categories. With the first print selling well and the 2nd print homage selling through the roof. So confession, I still haven't read this book. It's now or never on cheap copies and I plan on taking advantage. Having said that, the speculator in ,e still sees this book a potential release day heater as I imagine it will be tough to find.
An artist known for his cover art in IDW’s V-Wars series (which is coming to Netflix this year by the way), Ryan Brown is quickly becoming a hot artist, He recently did the cover art for a MyComicShop exclusive Captain Marvel Braver and Mightier #1 which they sold on eBay for under $6 shipped. I love the art on this cover and think Ryan Brown is an artist to keep an eye on.
Regular Price Variant Marvel
If you’ve watched any of my YouTube videos you know I’m a big fan of Phil Noto. Conan has joined the Avengers and the past two issues have heated up on the secondary market. The Avengers take the fight to Nyx in this issue but does Conan turn heel? The solicit for this issue leads us to wonder.
I'm not a huge fan of this book but Star Wars fans are completionists. There has also been solid buzz on this one since solicitation. Maybe it's the AH! factor but I could see this one drying up.
Regular Price Variant DC
This book COULD be the perfect storm. The cover image and artist (Jim Lee!!!!) Were not released until well after FOC making it quite possible many retailers under order or miss out altogether. Also, like location in real estate, speculation is about timing. And the Timing of this release just so happens to be the week Shazam! hits theaters nationwide.
Regular Price Variant Indie
Ice Cream Man is a title that I was surprised how much I enjoyed reading it when it came out. It has since been optioned Universal. This issue looks to be MTV’s The Real World but with a horror style twist. Ice Cream Man #10 had an estimated print run just under 7,800. #11 will most likely be lower than issue #10 and I’m not sure how many stores will order many of the cover B.
I've been long advocating the power of Netflix on spec, and Sharkey is a prime example. Already in development, Sharkey #2 boasts a Skottie Young variant. His Image variants tend to get alot of attention. His art isn't for everyone but his fan base Is undeniable.
I was a bit underwelmed reading issue #1 and expect a lot of stores to lower the order for this title. Don’t expect a lot of stores especially smaller LCS’ to order 25 copies to get this variant. Plus add the much deserved popularity of Jenny Frison’s art.
Insert everything I said about #1, subtract a bit because it's a 1:10 vs a 1:25.and add a bit because #2 will undoubtedly have a lower print. The unique Baroness cover is what does it for me. If your looking for money Joe variants, look no further Snake Eyes or Baroness.
Top Spec Pick
Menat is a fairly new character to Street Fighter, she 1st appeared in the second season addition in Street Fighter V. She quickly became a fan favorite and now gets her own one-shot. While Udon Publishing offers 3 regular priced covers and a 1:5 variant. I believe the one to get though is this exclusive variant direct from the Udon store.
With the price of the regular Incredible Hulk #181 continuing to rise out of reach of most buyers this could see some interest later on down the road. Plus, this is your chance to get one, submit it for grading and get a 9.8 copy of IH 181. Even if it is just the facsimile edition
The Steve Aoki story has received solid reader buzz resulting in sell outs from large retailers. But we have seen this before with Black Eyed Peas and The Weekend. These music influenced comics find an audience but haven't proved they can maintain one. We will see on this one but it should be a solid quick flip.
Last Week Look Back
Avengers and Meet The Skrulls vs Dark Red give the slight edge to #TeamBolo. This week was tight. Will #TeamSimpleman rise from the ashes this week and claim glory!?!?!
Winners: (In No Order)
- Knights of the Golden Sun #5 (Bolo) - Month in and month out Knights continues to release and sellout. This one hit $10-15.
- Immortal Hulk #15 Cover B (Simpleman) - This one was a spot on pick for Brian. $15 and drying up.
- Avengers #6 No Road Home 1:100 Alex Ross (Bolo) - This one is doing well with Dale's hovering around $150 which is 50 % over ratio. Not bad for a high ratio book like this.
- Dark Red #1 1:10 Stroman (Simpleman)- A Hot 10 book right out the gate with sales ranging from $35-50. This one is popular with readers and speculators alike.
- Meet The Skrulls #2 1:25 Razzah (Bolo)- This quirky book was all over the place but provided speculators an opprotunity to make a quick $20.
Losers: (In No Order)
- Eastman TMNT (Bolo)- This one went the way of most Eastman Cover B's…...straight brick. Oh well, shooters shoot.
- Justice League #20 (Simpleman)- while both of us dug these, the community did not respond. We didn't see haul posts or people building those connecting covers. Ebay sales reflect that trend.
Jury Is Still Out
- Die #1 4th (Bolo) Sold out but not moving for much over cover, this one is trending well but still a ways to go.
- Granov 1 :100 (Simpleman) - While below ratio at the moment, it isn't quite a loser as its rose $20 in the last few days. At $90 it's just below ratio. Another week like this and Speculators will be in the money.
- Immortal Hulk #15 (Bolo)- Only selling for at or slightly above cover, 15 sat available for a while. The events of the book have caused lots of hype but the B cover out performed the A cover. This series has so many buyers though so spikes could happen.
- Most books released last week- It's hard to call a lot of books losers after just one week. Let us know in the comments what books you think the jury still out on!
We did pretty well this week making something out of slow week. Be sure to let us know in the comments your picks and predict who will win out #TeamSimpleman or #TeamBolo.
Want to see more from CBSI’s NCBD duo?
Be sure to also check them out on Simpleman's Comics YouTube Channel Live at 9 PM Est / 6 PM Pst Thursday's for the Weekly Bolo List Livestream with the replay releasing right here on the site on Friday's.