FLAME IN… FLAME OUT
To advance, however far, is profitless unless the ground gained can be consolidated, or the momentum sustained
– Ludovic Kennedy
Greetings from the desert fellow CBSI members. Funny, Summer has almost returned here in Scottsdale as it’s a palmy 83 Degrees today. Anyone here of seasons besides hot and hotter in this desert? Nope, just reliable sustained heat. I know, don’t complain as some of you are shoveling snow in your Parkas. However, this brings me to the overall theme of this One Year Later dated February 1st, 2017. As we look through the books of the week, my overall thought is where is the credible comics of our present time? Sure covers due to ratios, or artists become hot… then mostly go cold. Where are the future pillars from our publishers that go beyond the staples of the last umpteen years? No one can speak to this like Skot Whitman, so I will not try and articulate the same language. I just wanted to bring this to the surface for discussion, as good debate at times can manifest intelligence. Finally, these types of deliberations can bring dividends to all of us…
Alright, let’s hit the books. The cover of the week comes from none other than our favorite smart ass. The book is titled Deadpool & The Mercs for Money #8 1:25 Iban Coello Variant. This comic blew up overnight with prices ranging in the triple digits. Why? Well there is no patented formula, but it has some things going for it in the spec world we live in today. Hot writer (Cullen Bunn), a 1:25 ratio on the 8th book of this series, a lower print run overall, and finally a unique cover. So that’s the macro look, here is the micro:
- # 104 via Comichron in the month of February
- Total print – 20.7K
- Total approx. 1:25s – 828
- Current slabbed on Ebay – 2 (Ranging from $99.99 – $119.99)
- Current average sale for CGC 9.8 via GoCollect over the last year – $82
- Current slabbed SOLD on Ebay last 60 days – Zero
- Current raw on Ebay – 4 (Ranging from $39.99 – $59.99)
- Current raw SOLD on Ebay last 60 days – Zero
Overall, this book for a 1:25 can be profitable and make us some money. However, it has decreased in appeal and revenue made steadily over the last 12 months.
Total run 7.5K approx. 1:10s 750
Rodimus and Co. find themselves in a dangerous place. Even more dangerous than on a planet that exploded from the inside. That's already pretty dangerous. But where they are now?
Print run not listed due to price per comic
NEW STORY ARC! ‘CONQUERED'-In the aftermath of The Whisperer War: ALL IS LOST. ALSO: HOLY CRAP! THIS ISSUE IS .25 CENTS TO CELEBRATE THE 25th ANNIVERSARY OF IMAGE
- Rebirth covers continue to do well in the aftermarket due to solid covers and artists
- Don’t sleep on these Transformers incentives if you are a fan, hyper light print runs
- Deadpool ratio variants do well in the aftermarket, but there is a small window to really capitalize on ROI. Then there is a gradual decline as with most variants
- Walking Dead variants can produce good gains, IF bought at the right time. Get in, get out.
- Hot artists, high ratios produce for the short term 98% of the time only – bank on it!
- Monsters Unleashed a gimmick? Yes! However a complete set of the 1:100s could produce a nice sum to use for other books with more long term value
That’s all this week, and once again I appreciate the time spent reading this column. My goal is that at least one reader takes a nugget away to help them down the road. I started this week with the term – Flame in… Flame out. Something to think about, and more importantly analyze when we think about a variant purchases. Do they have at least 3 qualities to separate from the sheep herd. Can we find a correlation to those impulse purchases vs the Top 100 variants list as an example. Is our hard earned money better spent on a lower slabbed blue chip? All food for thought.
I will leave you with this…
Disseminate, educate, and rationally conceptualize your bigger purchases. Yes, this a hobby. However, let’s not forget what investment means bigger picture per our friend the dictionary – A devoting, using, or giving of time, talent, emotional energy, etc. as for purpose or to achieve something
Finally, as reference and a great piece to look back on from time to time in terms of true, trend setting variants here is the holy grail of CBSI pieces. Oh and for you newer folks, this is THE guide to use as you are out in the wild. When you see them in online be sure to thank Matt DeVoe and Inigo Saenz for spearheading this monumental project!