This review of Previews Magazine is intended to bring order to the chaos and draw out all of the wonderful nuggets of goodness that are coming out in a couple of months at your LCS. Most retailers will offer 20-50% off cover price for pre-orders. Retailers may not order enough quantity for hit books and may not order certain indie titles at all. Pre-ordering is your chance to guarantee that you don’t miss out.
This article is for September shipments. Order deadline is July 18th. Let’s see what the future holds!
(N.B. This information is based on the current Previews publication and may not include changes to shipping dates, cancellations or additions of multiple printings. Not all cover art available. )
- (Aardvark-Vanaheim Press) Cerebus in Hell? #0 (of 1) – Where has Cerebus been since he died 12 years ago? Find out here. (40th anniversary 4-issue mini-series will be out in 2017)
- (Antarctic Press) Trump vs. Clinton: Uncivil War Coloring Book #1 – Here’s your chance to illustrate the outcome of the elections the way you want them to turn out.
- (DC) Batman Beyond #16 – Who will be the new defender of New Gotham? (events lead into Batman Beyond: Rebirth #1)
- (DC) Cyborg: Rebirth #1 – Could be another good Rebirth read, but the solicitation is vague. (2 covers)
- (DC) Nightwing #4 – The Moloch is a new character 1st appearance as far as I can tell. (2 covers)
- (DC) Gotham Academy: Second Semester #1 – A new student shows up for winter holidays in this new storyline. (2 covers)
- (DC) Harley Quinn and Her Gang of Harleys #6 – Harley Sinn identity is revealed. (2 covers including a Conner and a Cho 1:25)
- (Dynamite) Great Divide #1 (of 6) – Includes a free music download. In the future, humans can kill each other with the faintest touch while absorbing the victim’s memories. (3 covers)
- (IDW Publishing) Revolutions Crossover event
- Revolution #1 – The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Action Man, M.A.S.K., ROM and the Micronauts come together for the Revolution! (11 covers including a Blank, Christiansen Interlocking 1:10, Guidi 1:25, Baltazar 1:50, Rausch hand-drawn 1:100 and a Nauck hand-drawn 1:250)
- M.A.S.K. Revolution #1 – (4 Covers including a Blank and a Christiansen Interlocking 1:10)
- Micronauts: Revolution #1 – (4 covers including a Blank and a Christiansen Interlocking 1:10)
- Revolution #2 – (8 covers including a Christiansen Interlocking 1:10, Guidi 1:25 and a Baltazar 1:50)
- Revolution: Road to Revolution #1 – Five key stories that paved the way to the crossover event.
- ROM: Revolution #1 – (4 covers including a Blank and a Christiansen Interlocking 1:10)
- (Marvel) Civil War II: X-Men #4 – A new Inhuman first appearance? (3 covers including a Black Panther 50th 1:25)
- (Marvel) Howard the Duck #11 – Final issue. (4 covers including a Quinones, Zdarsky Last Issue, Christopher Action Figure and a Campbell Defenders)
- (Marvel) Spider-Man/Deadpool #9 – The series keeps selling out and going to multiple printings. This issue will feature the 1st app of Itsy-Bitsy. (3 covers including a McGuiness, Story Thus Far, Classic 1:15)
- (Marvel) Vision #11 – A lot of folks are saying this series is the best Marvel read these days.
- (Scout Comics) Henchgirl #11 – Final issue.
- (UDON Entertainment) Street Fighter Swimsuit Special #1 – Since you were thinking the walls of your bedroom needed some updating this pin-up special arrives just in time. (4 covers including Star, Lee, Blank, Ruffino 1:10)
- (Valiant) X-O Manowar #50 – 64 page final issue. The Torment come to Earth in search of the armor’s secrets. (13 covers including an All-Star Jam, CGC Replica, 1:10, 1:15, 1:20, 1:25, B&W All-Star Jam 1:50)
New Series – Premium Publishers
- (Dark Horse) Aliens: Life and Death #1 (of 4) – The surviving humans on LV-223 are still recovering from the battle with the Engineers and are now prey for the horde of Aliens. (2 covers)
- (Dark Horse) Hellboy and the BRPD 1954: Black Sun #1 (of 2) – An investigation of an attack on Arctic expedition.
- (Dark Horse) Rise of the Black Flame #1 (of 5) – An ancient evil power is being wielded by a bloodthirsty cult as young girls disappear in Siam.
- (Dark Horse) Resident Alien: Man With No Name #1 (of 4) – A stranded alien pretends to be a doctor in a small town, but an arsonist and a federal agent are also in town to shake things up.
- (Dark Horse) Strain: Mr. Quinlan, Vampire Hunter #1 (of 5) – Mr. Quinlan is hunted by his own target. (2 covers)
- (Dark Horse) Tarzan on the Planet of the Apes #1 (of 5) – Tarzan and his ape brother Caesar reunite for the war between man and apes.
- (DC) Batman Beyond: Rebirth #1 – New threats and Old threats, but where is Bruce Wayne? (2 covers)
- (DC) Blue Beetle #1 – Is everything Jamie Reyes knows about his scarab a lie? (2 covers)
- (DC) Cyborg #1 – Cyborg has the pleasure of dealing with every robotic threat in the DC Universe. (2 covers)
- (DC) Doom Patrol #1 – From the solicitation: A blenderized reimagining of the ultimate series of the strange, DOOM PATROL combines elements from classic runs, new directions, and things that could not be. (6 covers)
- (DC) Everafter: From the Pages of Fables #1 – A new chapter in the Fables series sees the return of popular characters in a post-Fables world.
- (DC) Frostbite #1 – Earth is frozen wasteland and dangerous gangs roam around while scientists make their way across the tundra trying to find a cure for a new deadly disease.
- (DC) Raven #1 (of 6) – Raven face her greatest challenge: high school…and some evil force.
- (DC) Supergirl #1 – Kara will come face-to-face with her father: Cyborg Superman. (3 covers – Ching, Bengal, Blank)
- (DC) Teen Titans: Rebirth #1 – The Teens take on Ra’s Al Ghul. (2 covers)
- (DC) Trinity #1 – Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are back together again! (2 covers)
- (IDW) Star Trek: Waypoint #1 – A bi-monthly anthology of short stories from all the Treks. (3 covers including a Photo 1:10)
- (Image) Eclipse #1 – The sun’s rays are deadly and earth’s inhabitants are nocturnal. A killer is on the loose using the sun as his weapon.
- (Image) Seven to Eternity #1 – New sci-fi/fantasy series from the team of Opena and Rememder. A disgraced knight must decide to keep a promise or take on an evil God. (3 covers)
- (Image) Surgeon X #1 – Under the rule of a far-right British government, a surgeon practices medicine with extreme measures during an antibiotic crisis.
- (Image) Wicked and Divine 1831 #1 – Take a step back in time to see what happened to some poets in this special. (2 covers)
- (Image) Glitterbomb #1 – A horror story that takes on the celebrity-obsessed culture in Hollywood. (2 covers)
- (Image) Hadrian’s Wall #1 (of 8) – A whodunit in space.
- (Marvel) Max Ride: Final Flight #1 (of 5) – Another Max Ride series based on the characters from the James Patterson novels. (2 covers including an Oum 1:25)
Off the Beaten Path Where the Sleepers Lie (Indies)
- (451 Media Group) Red Dog #1 (of 4) – a boy and his robotic dog are both unique in a mining colony of adult humans far from Earth. The alien natives aren’t happy about the humans being there. (2 covers)
- (After-Shock Comics) Alters #1 – This is being billed as a new series featuring the world’s first transgender superhero. (3 covers – Stelfreeze, Stelfreeze 1 :10 and Harris 1:25)
- (American Gothic Press) Thin #1 (of 3) – The award winning graphic novel is now a series. A woman takes dieting to some dark places.
- (American Mythology) Mike Wolfer's Crypt of Scream #1 – A B&W anthology of gory tales that will keep you up at night. (2 covers including a regular and signed version)
- (Mike Wolfer entertainment) Gallery of Horror One Shot – Mike Wolfer is also releasing a full color pin-up book this month through his own company. Is the color gallery scarier than the B&W anthology? (2 covers including a Nude)
- (Amigos Comics) Planet of Daemons #1 (of 4) – Set in a fantasy realm, an all-powerful Succubus Queen is hatching…
- (Amryl Entertainment) Cavewoman: Ankha’s Revenge #1 (of 3) – After a 14 year hiatus, Cavewoman is back as pyramids rise, spaceships fly and mummies stalk the streets of Marshville. (4 covers)
- (Antarctic Press) Blade Bunny 2 #1 (of 3) – The ditzy assassin is sent to retrieve an artifact.
- (Antarctic Press) Steamcraft #1 – Lovecraft meets steampunk. Literally. It’s in the title.
- (Archie Comics) Black Hood: Season 2 #1 – The Nobody attempts to flush out the Black Hood, who has disappeared, with an increasing body count. (2 covers)
- (Aspen Entertainment)
- Lola XOXO #1 – Lola’s mission is to be reunited with her parents while dealing with the reality of the apocalypse. (4 covers – Oum, Oum variant, Oum 1:10, Rocafort 1:20)
- Art of Lola XOXO #1 – For the fans of Siya Oum’s work this is an art book featuring the world from the Lola XOXO series. (2 covers – Oum, Oum 1:6)
- (Benitez Productions) Lady Mechanika: La Dama de la Muerte #1 (of 3) – In a very special Day of the Dead story, Lady Mechanika must face the Hell Riders. ( 3 covers including a Benitez regular, variant and 1:10)
- (Black Mask) Black #1 – Only black people have superpowers.
- (Black Mask) Forevers #1 – Five friends use black magic to gain fame and fortune then things get ugly as they realize that the power is shared amongst them and their individual power grows when one friend dies.
- (Boom! Studios) Skybourne #1 – Frank Cho brings a James Bond fantasy-type story to life. (3 covers including a Cho, Peterson 1:25, Darrow 1:50)
- (Darby Pop) Women of Darby Pop #1 – Featuring short stories from the winners of the “Breaking Into Comics” contest.
- (Devil’s Due Publishing) Mercy Sparx: Year One #1 – The untold story of the first year on Earth of heaven’s secret weapon. (4 covers including a Blank with Sketch 1:20)
- (Dynamite) Boo: World’s Cutest Dog #1 (of 3) –When you’re an internet sensation, the next step is your own comic book. Are the Unpressable Defects next? (7 covers)
- (Dynamite) Grimm #1 – Set during the 4th season the hit TV show. (4 covers including a Sanapo regular, B&W 1:10, Virgin 1:20 and a Strahm Mask)
- (Fantagraphic Books) Love and Rockets #1 – Your favorite characters are back to kick off Volume 4 of the ongoing series.
- (Heavy Metal Magazine) Heathen #1 – A female Viking warrior seeks to right the wrongs of God-King Odin.
- (Moonstone) Foxy Lady: FBI #1 – One woman leads a team of investigators in search of the truth in the 60’s-70’s era. (2 covers including a 1:3)
- (Oni Press) Nights Dominion #1 – A dark fantasy epic where there are 2 classes – the rich and the poor. A heavily guarded tower in the middle of the city holds untold riches. (2 covers)
- (Space Goat Productions) Evil Dead 2: Revenge of the Martians #1 – Ash is back and the evil dead are the Martians from War of the Worlds. (2 covers including a 1:4)
- (Titan Books) Assassin’s Creed: Locus #1 (of 4) – Set in the world of Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate, you are transported to Victorian London to search for a Piece of Eden. (6 covers including a Scholastic and a Blank)
- (Titan Books) Dark Souls: Legend of the Flame #1 (of 2) – A new mini-series based on the video game. (6 covers including a blank variant)
- (Titan Books) Samurai: Brothers in Arms #1 (of 4) – After winning a duel, Takeo and his brother finally leave the Isle with No Name. (5 covers)
- (Titan Books) Tank Girl: Gold #1 (of 4) – Tank Girl sets off on an new adventure with the family. (6 covers including a Black Frog, Zombie and a Blank)
- (Titan Books) Vikings: Uprising #1 – Lagertha and her shield maidens must stop the escaped slaves. (5 covers)
Graphic Novels and Books
- (American Mythology) McCandles and Company #1 – A B&W crime noir about the investigation into the theft of $60 million from a mutual fund. GN (2 covers – Oeming and a Signed Sketch)
- (Valiant) Britannia #1 – Rome dispatches the world’s first detective to solve the unnatural happenings in Britannia. Prestige Format (6 covers including a Blank, Guinaldo 1:10, Lee 1:20, Johnson 1:50)
Variant theme covers
(Marvel) Protaste Cancer Awareness Month Variants
(Marvel) Black Panther 50th Anniversary
Civil War II: X-Men #4 (1:25)
(Marvel) Defenders Variant Covers
All-New, All-Different Avengers #14
(Marvel) Hip Hop Variants
Doctor Strange Annual #1
(Marvel) Captain America 75th Anniversary
Civil War II: Gods of War #4 (1:50)
(Marvel) Cosplay Variants
A-Force #9 (1:15)
Until next month, be a smart collector and stay ahead of the curve.