Artgerm Cover Collection: Mission Accomplished!!!
Like most collectors, I shrug off ‘goals’ and just buy and sell whatever is on my mind at the time. About a year ago, though, I decided I wanted to start and finish a ‘goal’. My intention was to obtain every comic book by my favorite artist, Stanley ‘Artgerm’ Lau, as the cover artist. At the time, there were less than 100 different covers out there (that number now sits at 108) and not very many variants, so I thought, this should be easy……dumb thought.
Trying to complete any set is a daunting task and I needed help. I want to personally thank Khoi Cakes, Shaun Leggitt, Philip Chung, Anthony L, Jon Z, Marq Romero and Inigo Saenz for either finding books for me, sending me links to find books or just giving me a checklist to go by. Completing this is bittersweet, the feeling of accomplishing a goal, but at the same time, not being able to get that rush of finding a new Artgerm book.
I would venture to say that this is the ONLY complete Artgerm set out there (as one of the issues has a print run of 250) … but if you have a complete set as well, please let me know!
I am going to make this a little fun and have a contest. If anyone can guess the answers to all 4 of these I will send you my extra Sketchbook #2 (the Spider-Gwen cover) that you see in the photo, FREE! And because I want someone to win, I will give hints for each question.
- What was the FIRST Artgerm book that I obtained? (HINT: it is not an obscure character)
- Which Artgerm comic (not a Sketchbook) did I pay the most for? (HINT: it is a variant)
- Which Artgerm book is my FAVORITE cover? (HINT: I have more than 1 copy)
- Which Artgerm book is my LEAST FAVORITE cover? (HINT: Blue is not my favorite color)
Some other fun facts about the collection:
- The hardest to find book that I actually found in the wild was The Theater #1
- The hardest to find book that I purchased online was GFT Robyn Hood #1 1:50 Variant
Now I have only 1 goal, which is probably not going to happen anytime soon: get a blank cover, original sketch from Mr. Lau….