Wouldn’t it be great to have the power of knowing what comics are coming out ahead of time and being able to preorder your favourites without fear of your LCS selling out before you show up? And get a 20-50% discount as well? Let me tell you that there is a tool for this exact purpose and I’ve looked through it for you. I’ve focused on interesting reads and possible spec worthy finds. Take what I’ve written and make your own informed purchases. Talk to your LCS about preorders as most will give discounts.
Let’s see what the future holds!
These are for August shipments and the order deadline is June 18th.
(N.B. This information is based on the current Previews publication and may not include changes to shipping dates, cancellations or additions of multiple printings. Not all cover art available. )
Top Picks for Sellouts
1. (DC) Suicide Squad Rebirth #1 – (Tan and Conner covers) With the excitement of the movie coming out the same month and the success of Rebirth this could be the perfect storm. Plan ahead if you don’t want to be left empty handed.
2. (DC) Suicide Squad #1 – Another SS #1 in the month the movie is coming out. Can Harley do any wrong? Rob Williams writes, Jim Lee is the interior artist and does one of the 2 covers. Bermejo does the other cover.
3. (DC) Harley Quinn #1 & #2 – Definitely pre-order if you want to read these. The Suicide Squad movie comes out this month and hype will be at a fever pitch. Written by Conner (2 covers each – Conner & Sienkiewicz)
4. (Marvel) Accused #1 – The solicitation only notes ‘Classified’ and has to do with Civil War II. (4 covers with Main, Lim, Aja 1:50 and a 1:25 that is TBA)
5. (Marvel) Spider-Man/Deadpool #8 – This is on the list because every issue to this series keep going to multiple printings. Plan ahead, order ahead if you like first prints. (2 covers, one is a Moore Black Panther variant)
6. (Marvel) Fallen #1 – Another solicitation that only notes ‘Classified’ and has to do with Civil War II. (4 covers with Main, Lim, Yu 1:50 and a Del Mundo 1:25)
7. (Marvel) Darth Vader #25 – Oversized final issue. (12 covers including Gimenez, Granov, McKelvie, Cho 1:50, Shirahama, Quesada 1:100 and 1:200 Sketch; Samnee 1:25, Pichelli 1:25, Chiang 1:25, Larroca, Christopher Action Figure)
8. (Titan Books) Mycroft Holmes: Apocalypse Handbook #1 – Sherlock Holmes has an older brother and a bestselling novel was written about him. This series is set in the same universe and is co-written by NBA legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. (5 covers including a blank and novel variant.)
1. (DC) Deathstroke Rebirth #1 – Rebirth has had a very strong start. (2 covers- Platt and Aco)
2. (DC) Earth 2 Society #15 – First Appearance of new villain?
3. (DC) Harley Quinn and Her Gang of Harleys #5 (of 6) – Origin of Harley Sinn (2 covers from Conner, the variant is 1:25)
4. (DC) Harley’s Little Black Book #5 – Tribute to Superman vs Ali originally published in 1978 as All-New Collectors’ Edition #C-56. Follow up to original story. Adams regular cover is a swipe of the original. There is also a Conner 1:25 variant.
5. (DC) Supergirl Rebirth #1 – Rebirth has had a very strong start (2 covers – Hughes and Lupacchino)
6. (Marvel) There are a lot of Black Panther variants this month. Completists, seek them out!
7. (Marvel) A-Force #8 – Elsa Bloodstone joins A-Force? Civil War tie-in. (2 covers)
8. (Marvel) Amazing Spider-Man #17 – Electro is a woman. (2 covers, one by Ross)
9. (Marvel) Carnage #11 – First appearance of new character(s)?
10. (Marvel) Marvel Tsum Tsum #1 – It seems to be Tsum Tsum month over at Marvel and if that’s your thing then you’re in luck. This issue has 5 covers including a 1:15 Photo, Connecting and Japanese Game. There are other variants of regular issues this month with Tsum Tsum’s on them, but I’ll let you hunt those down.
11. (Marvel) Silk #11 – New character? First appearance? Cameo?
12. (IDW) ROM #2 – Comes in 5 covers with a good looking Muggs Photo 1:10 variant.
13. (IDW) Star Trek: 50th Anniversary Cover Celebration #1 – a collection of the greatest TREK covers from across the galaxy!
1. (DC) All Star Batman #1 – Scott Snyder starts off the writing of this new Batman series with John Romita Jr. doing the art with a reimagining of some of Batman’s greatest villains (5 covers including a Jock and a blank variant)
2. (DC) Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #1 – Hot on a false Oracle's trail, Batgirl, Black Canary, and Huntress are all tracking the same mafia capo…so it makes sense to team up, right? (2 covers)
3. (DC) Deathstroke #1 – Deathstroke goes to Africa! (2 covers)
4. (DC) Hellblazer #1 – Constantine is still recovering and Swamp Thing call in a favor. (2 covers)
5. (DC) Red Hood and the Outlaws #1 – Black Mask and Red Hood square off. (2 covers)
6. (DC) Six Pack & Dog Welder Hard Travelin Heroez #1 (of 6) – Dog Welder searches for his past and Six-Pack tries to keep the team together. (2 covers – cover B is not for the faint of heart)
7. (DC) Suicide Squad Most Wanted El Diablo & Boomerang #1 (of 6) – El Diablo is released from prison but his freedom may be cut short. Boomerang and the Squad attempt to take down a dictator.
8. (Image) Kill or Be Killed #1 – The twisted story of a young man who is forced to kill bad people. From the team of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips (The Fade Out, Criminal, Fatale)
9. (Image) Black Monday Murders #1 – A secret world where vampire Russian oligarchs, Black popes, enchanted American aristocrats, and hitmen from the International Monetary Fund work together to keep ALL OF US in our proper place. From writer Jonathan Hickman (East of West, Secret Wars, Avengers) and Tomm Cocker (Undying Love)
10. (Image) Demonic #1 (of 6) – Detective Scott Graves bargains away his soul to protect his family. (2 covers by Walter)
11. (Image) Eden’s Fall #1 – Combines the titles of Think Tank, The Tithe and Postal. FBI Agent James Miller (THE TITHE) follows a sociopath into the off-the-grid town of Eden, Wyoming on a personal mission of vengeance. (2 covers)
12. (Dark Horse) Lady Killer 2 #1 – The killer housewife is back! (2 covers)
13. (Dark Horse) Briggs Land #1 – Perfect for fans of Sons of Anarchy and Justified! In development for an AMC television show!
14. (Dark Horse) Kingsway West #1 – The Old West with magic, monsters and racist vigilantes.
15. (Dark Horse) Witchfinder: City of the Dead #1 – Written by Mike Mignola and Chris Robertson with art by Ben Stenbeck. An occult adviser to the queen must deal flesh-eating corpses and find a temple beneath London.
16. (Dark Horse) World of Tanks #1 – From the popular video game to the pulp pages, Garth Ennis brings you a whole lotta tanks to read about.
17. (IDW) Atomic Robo and the Temple of Od #1 (of 5) – Atomic Robo takes place in 1938, but with weapons better than Tesla could have designed. Part of IDW's five-week Creator Visions event. Five creator-driven books, launched in five straight weeks. (2 covers)
18. (IDW) Godzilla: Rage Across Time #1 (of 5) – Travel to different time periods to examine the origin of myths that fueled nightmares. (3 covers including a Farinas 1:10)
19. (IDW) Super F*ckers Forever #1 (of 5) – The Superf*ckers are back in their first-ever monthly comic-book series. Part of IDW's five-week Creator Visions event. Five creator-driven books, launched in five straight weeks. (2 covers)
20. (IDW) Jackboot and Ironheel #1 (of 4) – Eddie Neale is an R.A.F. tailgunner in WWII who has to face his destiny. Part of IDW's five-week Creator Visions event. Five creator-driven books, launched in five straight weeks. (2 covers)
21. (IDW) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe #1 – This series will explore characters and story-lines that are pivotal to the IDW TMNT universe! Plus a back-up story from TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman and comics legend Bill Sienkiewicz! (5 covers including Eastman 1:15, Couceiro 1:10 and a blank variant)
22. (IDW) X-Files Origins #1 – Mulder and Scully as teens. (2 covers)
23. (IDW) Jim Thompson’s the Killer Inside Me #1 (of 5) – adapted from the novel into a 5 part series. (2 covers)
Trade & Books
1. (DC) Art of DC Comics Bombshells HC – if you enjoyed the artwork from the DC Bombshells, this might be worthy of your attention
2. (DC) Superman American Alien HC – collect miniseries with bonus features
4. (Marvel) Black Panther TP Nation Under Our Feet – Collecting BLACK PANTHER (2016) #1-4 and FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #52, plus more than 25 pages of bonus content!
5. (Marvel) Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe – Graphic Novel
6. (Image) Art of Millarworld – Collection of Millar cover art from multiple series including variants from various guest artists. (cover by Jock)
7. (Dark Horse) Fight Club 2 Library HC – Limited edition with 50 pages of bonus content
8. (Dark Horse) Halo Tales from Slipspace HC – Graphic novel contains all new Halo stories.
9. (Dark Horse) Secret Loves of Geek Girls – The Secret Loves of Geek Girls is a nonfiction anthology mixing prose, comics, and illustrated stories on the lives and loves of an amazing cast of female creators.
Off the Beaten Path Where the Sleepers Lie (Indies)
1. (Valiant) 4001 AD: War Mother # 1 – A new hero emerges from the ashes of Valiant’s latest crossover event. War Mother. (5 covers including a 1:10 and an interlocking 1:20)
2. (After-Shock) Animosity #1 – Animals rise up and are out for revenge. (2 covers including a Shannon 1:10)
3. (Dynamite Entertainment) Battlestar Galactica #1 – New series about the search for sanctuary. (8 covers including a Sanchez B&W 1:10, Guice B&W 1:20, Doe Virgin 1:25 and a (rare?) Guice Virgin)
4. (Dynamite Entertainment) Evil Ernie: Godeater #1 (of 5) – Evil Ernie takes on The Godeater with a back-up story called ‘Last Ditch Bitch’, an interview with Justin Jordan and more. (5 covers including an action figure variant, Worley Sketch 1:10 and Templesmith Virgin 1:20)
5. (Bliss on Tap) Hardcore Akan #1 – Prequel to the movie Hardcore Henry (6.9 IMDB).
6. (Oni Press) Jeff Steinberg: Champion of Earth #1 – Described as a sci-fi-rom-com-dram-actioner featruing the artist of My Little Pony – Tony Fleecs. (2 covers – Fleecs and Burnham)
7. (Red 5 Comics) Kulipari Heritage #1 (of 4) – Story takes place right after Season One of the Netflix original series.
8. (Boom! Studios) Sons of Anarchy: Redwood Original #1 – The show had a strong following and now comes an original story of a young Max Teller at 18 years old. (3 covers including a Level Tattoo 1:20)
9. (451 Media Group) NVRLND #1 (of 4) – Retelling of Peter Pan in the dark and magical setting of present day Hollywood.
10. (Boom! Studios) Backstagers #1 (of 8) – Being part of the stage crew seems simple enough in high school, but things get a little crazy when a door backstage leads to different worlds. (3 covers including an Underwood Program 1:15 and a Guillory 1:25)
11. (Valiant) Generation Zero #1 – From Harbinger Wars, Generation Zero is here to help. Kids with extraordinary abilities fighting to help out the average kids. (7 covers with a CGC replica, a Blank, 1:10, 1:20, 1:40)
12. (Avatar Press) Jungle Fantasy: Ivory #1 – Hot on the heels of the Vixens release comes a new monthly series. Ivory hunts for her abducted family all alone on a planet with dinosaurs. (12 covers including 6 different nudes)
13. (Hermes Press) Sentient #1 – An illustrator has brutal nightmares that affect his reality. Only problem is that there is truth to the terrible dreams. (2 covers)